This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Tomorrow is Valentine’s Day and whether you love it or hate it, it’s a nice reminder to show love to your loved ones and indulge in a little chocolate. This recipe is perfect if you’re looking for a sweet treat that is simple to make and equally as delicious. These hearts can be made year around and a great treat to store in the freezer when you’re craving a small dessert.
If you want heart shapes, you’ll need heart silicon molds (I bought mine from Michaels) but if you don’t care for them to be heart shaped, any silicon mold will do. Feel free to buy bigger molds and make these chocolates bigger as well.
Chocolate chips – If you want these to be vegan, make sure you buy vegan chocolate chips. I love the brand Enjoy Life and I used their dark chocolate chips.
Cashew butter – I like to use homemade cashew butter but you can also buy cashew butter at the store.
Dragonfruit powder – You don’t have to use this if you don’t want the middle pink but this is necessary to get it that pink color. I buy my powder from Nuts.com.
- Melt chocolate chips. You can either do this in the microwave or in a double boiler. If you do it in the microwave, make sure to melt the chocolate chips in 30 second increments so you don’t burn the chocolate.
- Make the filling. Mix cashew butter, maple syrup and dragonfruit powder in a small bowl until combined.
- Pour half of the melted chocolate into the 12 molds and spread it out to cover the bottom and sides.
- Add cashew filling to the molds.
- Pour the remaining chocolate over the top of the filling.
- Chill in freezer until set and enjoy!
You may have leftover filling. You can melt more chocolate and make more hearts if this is the case or eat it as is 🙂
Store hearts in an air tight container in the freezer.
Dark Chocolate Hearts with Cashew Butter Filling
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips, vegan
- 2 tbsp cashew butter
- 1 tsp dragonfruit powder
- 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- Melt chocolate chips in microwave safe bowl in 30 second increments until completely melted. You can also melt chocolate chips over a double boiler.
- Mix cashew butter, dragonfruit powder and maple syrup in small bowl.
- Pour half of the chocolate in the bottom of the heart molds. Tilt the mold so that the chocolate coats the edges.
- Spoon cashew mixture into the hearts. Top with remaining chocolate and freeze until set.
- Once set, pop the chocolate hearts out of the molds and enjoy!