This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Who doesn’t love pancakes?? If you’re one of those crazy people who isn’t fond of pancakes, this post isn’t for you. But if you’re someone who loves pancakes and thinks you can’t eat them because they’re too unhealthy, I dare you to try these out! I would eat these everyday if I could, but they take just a little too much time in the morning before I’m headed off to work. They are still really quick and easy to make and I love making them on weekends when I don’t have to be in the office at 9am. They are packed with protein, fiber and deliciousness!
What makes this pancakes different than most pancakes? Well first, they’re vegan. Second, they take just a few ingredients. And third, they’re packed with protein and flavor.
Wheat flour – you can sub regular flour but I love using wheat because of the additional fiber.
Protein powder – I’d recommend using a protein powder you like the taste of. I like using Orgain vegan protein and find it works well in baked goods.
Coffee extract – I have tried several different brands of coffee extract and I do think it makes a difference in the brand. I prefer Watkins coffee extract. It is a little expensive but a little goes a long way.
Maple syrup – this is optional but if you prefer your pancakes to be on the sweeter side, I’d recommend adding them in. I find that with the chocolate chips, I prefer less sweetness in my pancakes so I typically leave it out.
Almond milk – You can sub an nut milk you have on hand.
Chocolate chips – I use Enjoy Life and opt for either the dark chocolate chips or the mini chocolate chips depending what I have on hand.
These pancakes are made just like you would your normal non-vegan pancakes. Please make sure they are cooked all the way through.
The recipe is for one serving but you can easily double the batch to make more. I like to make extra, store the extras in the freezer and then pop them in the toaster for a quick snack.
Chocolate Chip Coffee Pancakes
- 1/2 cup wheat flour (60 g)
- 1/4 cup vegan vanilla protein powder (20 g)
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4-1 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp maple syrup, optional
- 1 tsp coffee extract
- 1 tbsp vegan chocolate chips
- Heat medium sized pan on medium heat. Spray with cooking spray.
- Add flour, protein powder, baking powder and salt to bowl and mix.
- Add almond milk, maple syrup (if using), and coffee extract and stir until mixture is the texture of pancake mix. You may need to add additional almond milk depending on the protein powder you use.
- Pour mixture onto heated pan into equally sized circles.
- Add chocolate chips to the top of the batter.
- Cook until edges look dry and bubbles start forming on the top of the pancakes, about 5 minutes. Flip and cook until thoroughly cooked through, about 3-5 more minutes.
- Serve with maple syrup, mixed berries or plain and enjoy!